Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dilla Day!


Today marks a very special day for people in the Detroit hip-hop community, music producers around the world, and family & friends of James "Jay Dee/J Dilla/Dill Withers/Dilla Dawg" Yancey. Personally speaking, I know I wouldn't be where I am musically if it wasn't for Dilla & his indirect teachings via different records he produced that I would listen to. MY FAV PRODUCER!! Being an up & coming producer from the D, it's def added pressure to be the best as I feel Dilla's musical grind should be something every producer (especially from the D) should aim to match. When I read a newspaper article that made mention of how his mom (Ma Dukes) would massage his fingers after they would swell up from him doing beats from his hospital bed just so he could keep working....I felt like my definition of "grinding" was elementary! I'll share more of my thoughts & feelings on Dilla & his music during this month but below is my fav Dilla track (I think...it's soooo hard to narrow it down!!) Please share you thoughts as well on this day of remembrance...




Eve (Jay Dee Mix) - Spacek f/ J Dilla, Frank & Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment